Running through June 5th, 2022, the “SeeWorthy” Exhibit will be available at the Torpedo Factory Art Center on North Union Street. It will be available Wednesday through Sunday and it’s a free exhibit for all to enjoy.
This new exhibit from Alexandria Archaeology will highlight the technology that was used to reconstruct the historic vessels digitally. It will show off the recent discoveries and developments along the waterfront from archaeologists including four historic ships.
The remains of the four historic ships, which were found recently, were later scanned and used to create models to show what they would have looked like in the 19th century. There will be scale models for viewing three of the vessels from the Robinson Landing Site.
You can find the exhibit on the first floor of the Torpedo Factory Art Center.
The event will run from April 1st through June 5th of 2022. It will be held Wednesday through Sunday every single week. Wednesday and Thursday, the exhibit will be open from 10am to 6pm. On Friday and Saturday, the hours run from 11am to 5pm. Sunday, it’s open from 1pm to 6pm.
There is no cost to enjoy the “SeeWorthy” exhibit. It’s free for all to enjoy and is located at the Torpedo Factory Art Center at 105 North Union Street in Studio 9 in Alexandria.
About the Torpedo Factory Art Center
The Torpedo Factory Art Center was founded in 1974. It’s home to the largest collection of publicly accessible working art studios in the country. The center is managed by the City of Alexandria.
More than a half-million visitors come to the center every year. They interact with over 160 resident artists in over 80 studies and seven galleries. The center offers three floors with all types of art on display including enamel, mixed-media, painting, printmaking, collage, ceramics, glass, and much more.
The Alexandria Archaeology Museum is found on the third floor of the Torpedo Factory Art Center. It holds many different exhibits including:
- A Community Digs Its Past: The Lee Street Site – This exhibit uses a one city block area to look closer at the steps of archaeology. It also helps to show visitors the history of Alexandria through a microcosm of the city. You will discover 18th-century wharves, 18th-century homes, taverns, warehouses, and shops through this exhibit.
- Preserving Alexandria’s Maritime Heritage – Another exhibit taking a look at the four ships found along the city’s waterfront, this display looks at the journey from excavation to conservation. It uses 3D models to show the ships off and how they played a role in the early port city.
More Upcoming Events at the Torpedo Factory Art Center
Several exhibits and events are held at the Torpedo Factory Art Center every year. Some of the upcoming events for 2022 include:
- LE DRIP: The Uncontainable Sauce of Black Essence – Target Gallery April 23rd to July 17th
- Blooms Abounding – Scope Gallery April 27th to May 29th
- The Painted Form – Scope Gallery June 1st to July 3rd
- Workshops on the Waterfront – Torpedo Factory Art Center May 21st from 1pm to 3pm
The Torpedo Factory Art Center also offers regular classes, workshops, summer art camps, and classes for children. The classes are held on the second floor of the building.
Rent The Torpedo Factory Art Center
If you’re planning an upcoming wedding or event, you rent out one of the areas throughout the center. The Mezzanine area is commonly used with the main hall for weddings and other events. There is also a theater-style seating area on the third floor for other types of events.
The center has helped many events over the years including weddings, anniversary parties, retirement parties, birthday celebrations, gala balls, proms, and more.
Whether you’re visiting the Torpedo Factory Art Center for the “SeeWorthy” exhibit or for another reason, it’s well worth the trip. This top attraction in Alexandria offers plenty of things to see and an enjoyable experience.